Briefly discuss with parents and players your personal philosophy and objectives.
- reasons for coaching this particular team
- soccer background, coaching, playing, courses attended
- time availability for practices and games
- help needed
- attitude on winning and losing
- children and sportsmanship
- goals for the upcoming season
- sideline behavior during practice and games
- how you will discipline
- substitution policy
- lines of communication
Compile a parent roster.
- name, address, phone, emergency phone
- vital information on each child: nickname, allergies, medicine, parents work hours, etc.
Discuss parents’ responsibility to the players.
- provide transportation, arrive early for games and practices
- put identification on clothing, balls, shoes, etc.
- create incentive to raise money for equipment purchases
- encourage practice at home
- kick the ball around the yard in your spare time
- set up a back yard slalom course
- play one-on-one games
- provide game films and watch them together
- go to local amateur or professional games together
- go to social functions put on by the club
- present a positive sportsminded attitude
Discuss parents’ responsibility at games.
- exemplify good sportsmanship
- make positive calls to players
- never criticize a referee’s decision, learn the rules
- stay behind the restraining line.
- do not use profanity
- do not bother the coach
- support the team by attending all the games
- react positively to the team’s losses and wins
- no alcoholic beverages allowed
Discuss parents’ responsibility with extracurricular.
- help with fund raising activities to pay for registration, uniforms, etc.
- assist at practice sessions and games
- but only if requested
- provide team with needed items, such as cones, bibs, etc. or suggest a good source
Discuss Team Managers’ responsibility.
- assist coach in registration of players, collecting birth certifications, etc.
- assign parent duties
- supervise fund raising activities
- arrange refreshments for games
- collects & cleans uniforms when necessary
- plans & arranges social events such as picnics
- assists coach with last minute calls for changes in team practice
- makes arrangements for team photos
- creates newsletter to keep communication flowing between parents & coach
Discuss practice sessions.
- where will practice be held?
- what time will practice start & end?
- how often will practice be during the week?
- how many sessions are mandatory to attend?
- what are practice session rules?
- what procedure will be used to excuse a child?
- what are the consequences for missing practice?
- how will child get home from practice
- can parents observe a practice session?
- season schedule of practices and games
- location and means of transportation
- team rules at games & practice
- handling of emergencies
- time & date of social functions
- team roster, including names & phone numbers